Friday, August 25, 2023

Color, light, image and sound, harmony and lyric. Experience.


By Rob Carrigan, robcarrigan1@gmail.com

There are certain basic, simple things in life. For me, it is color, and light, image and sound, harmony and lyric. Experience.  Sure, I like food, and beer, and all that.  But, nothing is quite like being in the lights, with mountain behind you, and hearing the music you are making with your friends.

I suppose, I should have been a rock star. 

Don't know how many times, looking down at the stage at Red Rocks, or in Telluride, and I have thought that. But it is too late now, I think. Damn. All those Eagles, Jimmy Buffett, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Petty lyrics memorized, but never realized — down the drain.

Lyric, image and music drew me in to the news business. 

Still, among my all-time favorite newspaper memories, is that July 5 concert a few years ago, for which I was asked to "Guest Conduct" the Colorado Springs Philharmonic at Symphony Above the Clouds event in Woodland Park.

When I was just a kid, I liked to lead a cappella.

Of course, "a cappella" is Italian for: “in the church style” performance of a polyphonic (multipart) musical work by unaccompanied voices. It  originally referred to sacred choral music. About as 'sacred' as I ever get.

But the symphony — that is a different realm.  That is punching way over my weight.

For years I supported the Woodland Park event. It was a favorite of summer, for me, and everyone else. 

Ute Pass Symphony Guild,  formed in 1979 for the sole purpose of presenting the Symphony Above the Clouds concert for area residents, the Ute Pass Symphony Guild remains an all volunteer organization with very low overhead and administrative costs. Two primary programs are...

Symphony Above the Clouds takes place every July 5th in beautiful Woodland Park Colorado, at the Middle School (while I was there) the Symphony Above the Clouds has always been and remains primary mission of the Guild. Combining live symphony music, fireworks, and the cannons of Fort Carson, Symphony Above the Clouds is about providing family friendly, cost free entertainment, which brings business to Teller County and connects residents of the Ute Pass region in a very positive environment.

Philharmonic Kid's Concert The second part of the Guild's mission is to provide the funding and training required to send fourth graders from area schools to a Philharmonic Kids concert presented at the Pikes Peak Center in Colorado Springs.

Boiled down, I guess, nothing is quite like being in the lights, with mountain behind you, and hearing the music you are making.


No comments: