Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bear begins the eternal hunt once more

Part 2
The Micmac Indians of Nova Scotia and the Iroquois along the St. Lawrence Seaway share one story about the Big Bear. The quadrangle of the dipper represents a bear that is pursued by seven hunters; the three closest are the handle of the dipper. As autumn approaches, the four farthest hunters dip below the horizon and abandon the hunt, leaving the closest three hunters to chase the bear. The hunters are all named after birds. The closest hunter to the bear is named Robin, the second closest is Chickadee, and the third is Moose Bird. Chickadee is carrying a pot in which the bear will be cooked. As the bear attempts to stand up on two legs, Robin wounds the bear with an arrow. The wounded bear sprays blood on Robin, who shakes himself and in the process colors the leaves of the forest red; some blood stains Robin and he is henceforth called Robin Redbreast. The bear is eaten, and the skeleton remains traveling through the sky on its back in the winter. During the following spring a new bear leaves the den and the eternal hunt begins once more. __ From the Myths of Ursa Major


On Tuesday, January 13, 2004
Carl Rice wrote:
Rob, It was so good to see all you guys at the Dolores game. You all hold such a dear spot in my heart. I talked Scott the other night at about 1 in the morning and he said he had talked to you. He always calls at about that time. I want to keep in touch with you so please write.
Coach

From: Rob Carrigan
To: Carl Rice
Date: Tuesday, January 6, 2004

Coach:
It was great to see you! We ran into many that weekend that I had not seen in nearly 25 years. Don’t get back there as often as we should. It was an interesting time warp.
I must be lucky. Usually it is only midnight when Scott calls me. Wanted to touch bases with you as well. Was hoping to ask philosophical and psychological questions about small-town group dynamics. Seriously, I have been trying to figure out why sometimes there is more “connection” with a place you visit for a few hours in November, than there is in a corporation in which you have slaved for eight years.
Maybe it is the slavery issue?
It is a pleasure to hear from you. Keep in touch.
___Rob

Carl Rice wrote:
Those are indeed interesting dynamics. If it is any consolation, it is the same for everyone. That time and That place are often marked by not only faces, but passion and change. Corporations are quite boring!

From: Rob Carrigan
To: Carl Rice
Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Coach:
You are preaching to the choir on corporations. Generally, I have great passion for my family, community and what I do at work, but the corporation is one of the nagging details that we all imagine we could do without.
As a coach and teacher, you wield a lot of influence in that time and place. I think it was very positive my case specifically, and for the group in general. However, I still cuss you sometimes.
In that role, do you consciously construct strategy to get us (and others over the years) to do the right things? Or is it something, like maybe riding a bull or diving off a cliff, that is hard — but after doing enough times, you know it by feel? Whatever the case, I for one, appreciate the effort. Keep up the good work. Talk to you later. __Rob


From Carl Rice
To: Rob Carrigan
Date: Tuesday, January 13, 2004
I, at times cuss myself, as we all miscalculate or misfunction. Generally, I have no plan and have found that one would be ineffective. Too many variables! I wonder though, if we are all strung together by a universal ethic or model, I think one can recognize right and wrong, especially in each other. I have been blessed to do what I do. I realize I have touched a lot of people. Think how many you touch with your decisions. I realize that much of the time we concentrate on the monster, which is to me the far-removed machine. The truth is the struggle rages in the individual. Ethics doesn’t just happen. It is a practice.
See you, Carl

On 2/28/04 7:30 pm Rusty Hector wrote:
So I shouldn’t tell you the goat story:) You really wouldn’t write about that would you?

From: Rob Carrigan
To: Rusty Hector
Sent: Monday, March 1, 2004

What goat story? Sounds like a breakout chapter. ___ Rob

From: Rusty Hector
To: Rob Carrigan
Sent: Thursday, March 4, 2004

Really hard to articulate.

Lynn was always his own man. He knew where he was going in life and had been living the dream for some time before he passed on. He enjoyed the ride with passion. Saw humor in the simple things but did not miss the opportunity to impart “wisdom” when he felt it was appropriate.
He will always be with me. Experiences, conversations, moments. An important piece of the puzzle of our youth.
Are you thinking of an Animal House type format? Something you can make into a movie ;) Soliciting quotes? “Mel, two pockets on a shirt are not cool.”
Don’t forget the “pith/jungle” hat on his casket. That WAS Leavell! Pith-strength, as that of a leader.
###



Please click on the following to view:

No comments: